As a small organization, we don’t have a dedicated marketing department. So part of my job is to have a content marketing strategy to promote our business. Well, sort of.
Like other responsibilities, I look for tools that help increase efficiency. Enters OpenAI with its ChatGPT, things just get more interesting.
Many have used ChatGPT to write articles for their blogs. I’ve done that too. However, you’ll still need to sit down and chat with it for each article you want to produce. So that’s probably 10 minutes/article. You want to turbo charge your day with 5 articles, that’s still at least an hour or two. And it does get boring.
What if even that can be cut away (mostly), and what’s left is just for you to approve the article for posting?
Wake up every day and there are articles written and ready to be posted. All you need is 10 minutes to approve them!
That’s when we can write some scripts to add automation the process. So here’s a basic tool I’m testing out. It’s a simple process:
- Requirement & Schedule : Give GPT basic parameters such as industry, category, audience, writing style and number of words. Give it a schedule of how often it should generate titles and content.
- Auto Generation of Article Titles based on a Schedule: Schedule it to give you all the article titles you want to produce for a week, at the beginning of that week.
- Auto Generation of Content of Available Article Titles: On days of the week that you want content to be generated, another scheduled script calls GPT to write the article based on the title that it gives for that day.
- Approval: You approve the content and the article will be posted to a WordPress site automatically the next day.
Below are some screenshots
Requirements and Schedule
For each content campaign, we can create multiple writing jobs. Here’s s simple form to enter your requirements for each writing job. There’s a lot more you can add on, but we want to keep it simple. Based on this requirement, titles and contents will be generated for this job based on the given schedule (frequency).
Auto Generation of Article Titles based on a Schedule
Now, we write a Python API (using Flask). It runs on the server side at the beginning of the week and calls OpenAI’s GPT3.5 (turbo) to generate all the article titles for the week based on job’s frequency/schedule given above. It’ll also give these titles a content generation schedule.
You say we can just generate all article contents in one go. But OpenAI’s API does put a rate limit on API call. So we choose to relax a bit and generate all titles first. Then every day, our Python program will run again to generate article content for each title that is scheduled for that specific day of the week only.
The result looks something like this:
Generated Content and Approval
Here’s sample content. On this screen, I can approve the content and it’ll be posted to a WordPress site the next day. Our Python program is integrated with the sample WordPress site through WordPress API.
The content is posted automatically here: https://upmarketing.linxhq.com/optimizing-logistics-operations-in-singapore-with-logistics-software-platforms/
What’s more can be done?
- Use keyword for the article to call stock photo APIs (such as one by Shutterstock, and you’ll have a featured image automatically downloaded and posted to WordPress.
- Call OpenAI’s API to rate the content to make sure it’s not something fishy. (Let AI checks against itself)
- Refine requirements form to give users both simple and advanced options.
- Refine content writing prompts to increase variety. May consider external references, statistics, real life examples etc. to be incorporated into the generation process.
- Auto posting to social networks
- and more…
Technology used for this demo: Python, Flask, NextJS, MySQL8 and OpenAI’s API.
Of course this is still WIP. There’s more to be done to put it in production mode. But you get the idea. Combining AI and automation, you should be able to setup a whole marketing department for your small business!